To blog or not to blog?

This post was transferred on Jan. 3, 2010. It was originally posted on April 11, 2009.

I just read two posts: When to Stop Blogging? and 5 Prerequisites to Successful Blogging on Hongkiat.com. I'll be adding this site to my must-reads to keep up with trends and find resources.

Those two posts bring up two questions: Should I keep blogging and Should I try to make money at it.

I started blogging several years ago (first post on Blogspot). I didn't expect anyone to read it - it was more like a conversation with a friend or even with myself. Some posts are rants, some are boring (although I try to avoid that). But it was never intended to be a money-making venture, even though I put Google ads on it, I never earned a penny from them.

I've been thinking I do want to start a site that incorporates blogging, but I'm having a hard time finding/figuring out a niche. I've had a couple of ideas but haven't taken action yet. One URL I wanted is taken, but that's probably for the best. The idea would have been risky - offering a place for snarky comments invites all kinds of comments and would require a lot of work keeping bad comments off the site. The other idea is still in baby stages, and I have no idea how money could be made.

In the meantime, I've moved from Blogspot to here. My Blogspot site is still active, but my new posts will be here. Eventually I'd like to move the posts to this site, but I have no idea how to do that and retain the original post times/dates. Or even how to do it at all.

And I'll try to post something every day. My original blog (I actually started on Geocities, but that site is gone) before Blogspot was more like my journal, as the Blogspot site has been. So I'll keep this up. And eventually I'll start a new site for my web design, because I'm hoping to make a little money at that. I don't expect to quit my (night) job over it, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile