Surpassing expectations

This post was transferred on January 3, 2010. It was originally posted on April 27, 2009.
My last post was nearly a week ago. I was whining - a little - about having to miss a special Relief Society dinner/meeting to go to Cayla's spring concert.

Boy, was I wrong.

I had expected the concert to be, well, a bit on the boring side. I have pretty low expectations about school concerts (and this one encompassed fifth through 12th grades. However, I got a surprise that night.

The music wasn't boring, and the kids played well. (To be fair, I expected the kids to be competent, but thought the music would bore me.)

We're talking "Pirates of the Caribbean," "Smoke on the Water," "1812 Overture."  There was a piece ("Biorhythms") where they didn't use their bows at all - they plucked the strings and made noises with their bodies: clapping, stomping feet, snapping fingers and slapping their hands on their chests and legs. And there was a solo part: Cayla screamed (on cue).

The high school played "Purple Haze" and "Smoke on the Water" arranged for orchestra. They also had "Obsidian," an original orchestra piece in the rock style.

The finale was the "1812 Overture" performed by the whole group: fifth- and sixth-grade honors orchestra, seventh- and eighth-grade orchestra, senior high orchestra and members of the Fort Dodge Area Symphony.



I had a good time that night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile