I feel like I've lived a week

Tuesday was like three different days.

In the morning, there was fog and hoarfrost. It was like fairyland. I took Cayla to school and picked Mom up to go grocery shopping. I didn't take any pictures, sorry. But Wednesday morning might have fog, as well, so another chance for pictures.

I took a nap when I got home, and when I left for work, it was sunny. Everything looked crisp and crunchy (snow crunchy). The air was brisk.

Between 4 and 5 p.m. I learned about the earthquake in Haiti. A former co-worker lives there, working for a charitable organization. I couldn't check on here because my computer at work has Facebook blocked. (I didn't go on Facebook at work often, and it was usually to check to see if the latest dead teenager had friends who started a Facebook group or what would have been in this case - to check on my former co-worker because Facebook is my only contact with her.)

So the rest of the evening, in between proofreading two papers and laying out the obits page, I checked for updates on the Haiti story. It wasn't until late in the evening that any post-earthquake pictures were available on the AP. But it didn't matter, because it wasn't important enough to make it in Wednesday's Messenger. I'm glad it's not up to me to make those decisions.

What I've been able to gather - from an update on former co-worker's Facebook and the website of the organization she works for - she's okay, the kids and the workers at the organization are okay, but the buildings have been damaged.

I don't know what I can do for anyone in Haiti, but I want to do something. Maybe as a family we can figure something out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile