Busy night

This post was transferred on January 3, 2010. It was originally posted on April 17, 2009.
On Thursdays, I used to just lay out Sunday Lifestyle pages, then lay out Friday pages. Once I started copy editing and they hired a person to paginate on Thursdays, I laid out Lifestyle pages, then did copy editing.

Then the powers that be decided I should also do obits in the evenings, so four nights a week I process obits along with paginating and copy editing. Thursday is one of those nights. And since the entertainment reporter moved over to cops and courts, I'm laying out the Go and Do page.

So yesterday, I laid out two Lifestyle pages, copy edited three Lifestyle pages, processed four obits, copy edited the news part of the paper (except pages 1 and 3), laid out obits and Go and Do. That last one was the worst - there were 16 items and one graphic kept locking up my Mac. I finally replaced the graphic and finished the page, but it wasn't sent until nearly 11 p.m.

Part of the problem was trying to copy edit while laying out Go and Do. And when I got behind and the paginator left before obits was done (technically my page, but could somebody ask if I needed help? No.) then I had to ask someone else for help copy editing, which left that person grumpy ("it's not my job to do this on Thursdays"). Well, we could stay here all night while I try to do three things at once ... or not.

Anyway, tonight I only have to copy edit one page, process obits and paginate. Oh, yeah, and do a page for Sunday Business. Which involves toning photos and typing in cutline info and figuring out which submissions actually have what we need (photo, cutline info which includes the names of everyone in the photo in order) like in the instructions we print every single week on this page.

I shouldn't gripe too much - at least there wasn't a fire at 9:30 p.m. like on Tuesday night.

Anyway, I've got to get to work. I can hardly wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile