Pride goeth before a fall


I had Tuesday night off from work so I could go to Enrichment Night. Enrichment was cancelled because of the weather - we got a few inches of snow. Kent and I went into town in the evening so I could drop off my Secret Santa present at work, so Kent could get some groceries, and so Kent could fix Mom's computer - again. While he was working on that, I shoveled her sidewalk. And the neighbors' sidewalks. Her apartment complex is made up of four-plex buildings. They are arranged so that there's a central sidewalk and then it splits off to each apartment. So in Mom's building, there are four apartments but only two of them face the same courtyard. I shoveled the sidewalks in Mom's courtyard.

I was feeling pretty good about myself - even had Kent take a picture of me. Yeah, I knew I'd be suffering later (back spasms from the shoveling) but I was pleased.

When we got back to Otho, we picked up Amanda so she could have supper at Kent's. I decided to leave the car for him to bring her home, and I started walking.

I'm not sure why I walked in the street instead of the sidewalk. I guess I have a habit of jaywalking. But I didn't get far before I slipped and fell.

I felt a searing pain in my right thigh as I went down. I landed with my left leg bent, my right knee on the ground and my right hand outstretched as though I was at the starting block. I've got a quarter-sized scrape on my right knee. I was stunned for a moment, trying to figure out how to get up. I actually considered calling Kent to come help me, but dismissed the thought. I managed to get up and make my way home.

When I got home, I asked Cayla to help me. She said, "with what?" and I threw a fit. I threw my coat off, threw my gloves on the floor, dropped the bags I was carrying and started yelling at her. It was definitely a case of the last straw.

I need to explain the difference between "what do you need?" and "with what?" Part of the problem was the tone of voice I thought I heard. I thought I heard a tone that conveyed "Mom is always asking me for help because I'm the only one that will help and I'm tired of it." I'm not proud of how I acted. But I plead extenuating circumstances - I was in a lot of pain.

I'm still in pain. I took some ibuprofen earlier, but forgot it at Kent's place when I drove Donna to the hospital. So I had to pick it up when we got back. I've taken two - at least - so hopefully they'll kick in soon. I say "at least" because I can't remember if I already took two. I used to have a prescription for ibuprofen, and that is twice as strong as the over-the-counter version.

So, there's my last couple of days except for finals. I think my design and photoshop (raster graphics) tests went okay. I got 67 percent on the objective test for Illustrator (vector graphics). I have three tests Thursday (today, now). I was working on stuff that was due the same day as these final exams, but had to be the chauffer to the hospital. So, I didn't get those things done. I won't have any time until Friday. We'll see how it goes. Right now, I'm looking forward to going to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile