I have had problems with my wrists for about 5 years now. It really started when I worked at Burger King and washed lots of trays every night. I had to remember to not hold the tray up in my left hand and scrub with my right, because that caused pressure on my left hand and wrist. It was diagnosed at tendonitis. The problems come and go and usually the pain and weakness is in my right arm now. Sometimes I wear a wrist brace with a metal support piece. These have a tendency to wear out, so when one starts wearing out, I buy a new one. Okay, I also buy new ones when I can't find one. One day last week I knew where 3 of these braces were and today I can't find one of them. If I weren't completely broke, I would buy another one.

I work at a newspaper. I get to see a lot of the news, and sometimes I just see too much. I get news overload. Sometimes I don't even read the paper - since I put part of it together the night before, I've already read some of it. I know that the shuttle disaster was on all day. We had the tv on at work, the front page was nearly all about that, plus two pages added on for tomorrow's edition. One of the tasks of my job includes selecting photos to go with articles. I also tone and size black & white photos that we get from the Associated Press. While looking through these photos relating to the shuttle disaster Saturday, I noticed a picture of four people looking at a piece of debris from the shuttle. One man had a stick about 1 to 1 1/2 feet long and was nearly poking the debris. One was a woman, holding onto a boy - I think he was 7 or 11... can't remember. Behind them was a man taking a picture. The woman with the boy and the man with the stick were about 2 feet away from the piece which could have come from the Columbia.

On the news, they kept saying not to approach the debris, that it could be toxic. At one point, someone went into detail about the fuel system components and that some of the chemicals could (if you breathe it) form a "skin" inside your lungs, and you would die within 48 hours due to lack of oxygen. Now, does that sound like a good idea - take your kid right up to the (possibly) toxic thing. "Oh, honey, look! It's a piece of the shuttle that blew up and 7 people died. Great! Now, take a deep breath... could be nearly your last." Ah, human nature...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile