"Pigs Must Fly"

I suck at writing book reviews. Really.

But I do want to tell you about "Pigs Must Fly" by Edna Flannigan.

Iris Haugsdahl has suffered all her life. No one would ever call her attractive, and when she left high school to marry Urbb, a much older man, people didn't care, except to speculate that her parents paid him off with farm land.

Urbb wasn't abusive, but neglectful. His passion was his dairy farm, and his favorite cow was Enola - "she had Swiss written all over her," Urbb had said.

When Urbb is invited to a VFW convention in Las Vegas, Iris urges him to go. And when Urbb dies a few weeks before the convention, Iris goes, on her own for the first time in her life.

There she meets Kitty Velour, a transgender lounge singer who inadvertently reopens old wounds. Kitty tries to make it up to Iris, with unexpected results.

Added to the mix are the neighbors from back home, Forky and Netta Stimple, and things get a little crazy.

"Pigs Must Fly" is an enjoyable read. I could identify with Iris, and feel her pain. But there's also a bit of things turning around, of karma making things right.

I do recommend this book. If you know me personally, I can loan you my (signed!) copy. If you are in the Webster City area, you can get your own signed copy at a book signing from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Romancing the Home, 707 Second St., Webster City, during Ladies Night Out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile