Random memories

The bank in Vincent was robbed today, and in newsroom conversation with Sandy, I mentioned that I used to work at a convenience store in Chicago. I was never robbed at gunpoint, but had some "interesting" events occur there.

One time, a guy came in after he was mugged and stabbed. Another time, a guy came in and started shoplifting - he wasn't even trying to hide it. I worked every shift every week, and my two graveyard shifts were Friday and Saturday nights.

I quit there after I was mugged - non-related. I happened to go visit my sister and on the way home I had to switch buses. While I was waiting for the bus, a guy grabbed my bag. There were only two things in it. I had my money and bus pass in my hand.

When I told Sandy what was in my bag, she laughed and laughed. You see, I had visited my sister when she was doing laundry, and had her wash my bra. I put that in my bag, and the only other thing in there was my voter registration card. So then I was freaking out that the guy would be mad about what he "scored" when he mugged me and come looking for me. (He didn't.)

He did leave his mark, though. When he grabbed my bag, I instinctively tightened my arm - the strap was in the crook of my elbow. He pulled so hard I fell down. When I didn't let go, he kicked or hit me in the face. A couple of weeks later, I developed Bell's palsy, which the doctor told me was probably related.

Bell's palsy is the gift that keeps on giving. I got it during my pregnancy with Cayla, to the point where I had to tape one eye shut at night to sleep. I got it another time a couple of years ago for a few weeks.

So, there you are. I have these random memories come up from time to time, and I remember them and then let them go back into the dark recesses of my mind. I've decided I'll share a few now. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile