Taking things seriously

I call myself a procrastinating perfectionist. I put things of until/unless they can be done "right" - which often means things don't get done at all.

And this is a characteristic of my entire life.

But today is the day I start tracking how I spend my time, in order to organize my time and get things done.

I woke up at 5 a.m. - it's not a school day, as spring break was last week and today is a teacher work day before the new semester starts. But Cayla has a doctor appointment today, and I've got to work on In Old Fort Dodge - the article I picked for today is extremely long. I started working on it last night and I'm not halfway through yet. But it's an interesting one about a newspaper editor in Fort Dodge in the late 1800s.

However, I'm also catching up on Facebook and found this - a preview of Season 7 of Doctor Who. I'm kind of excited and also sad because it's going to be a long wait until it starts in the fall. Also on Facebook, I entered for an Asus Transformer, I'm keeping up with the groups I'm in for giveaways and I find ebooks for Kindle for free through some blogs I'm following.

But, back to being serious about things. I have a binder full of printed sheets about goals, about blogs and WordPress (which I use for my other blogs), and to-do lists and schedules. By tracking how I spend my time, I plan to schedule times for certain things like updating blogs, doing research (family history, blog, etc.), doing family search indexing and other stuff, including games.

I'm hoping that by scheduling game time I can limit it better. Last year I quit playing Zynga games on Facebook because I was playing 2-3 hours a day. I don't take any new game requests - I block them all. The only game I still play is Hatchlings, and I don't play that often.

However, the game I went back to - Kingdom of Loathing - now can take nearly that much time. It's fun to play, but I'm trying to cut down the number of days it takes to run through an ascension and that means planning things out better. It's ironic that my planning skills are being used for this instead of my real life.

Things I'd like to do, in no particular order:
  • More family search indexing (the 1940 census is released next week and indexing begins)
  • More family history research
  • Get more sleep (this plan includes going to bed earlier on nights when I can)
  • Get ahead on In Old Fort Dodge posts
  • Start posting on my other blogs
  • Promote Carol's Random Babble and In Old Fort Dodge more
  • Learn German (which reminds me to get back to Memrise for vocabulary learning
  • Finish the article I'm typing right now for In Old Fort Dodge
  • Take a nap right now (seriously)
  • Do a FB timeline cover for my personal page and for Carol's Random Babble
So, here we are. I'll be keeping track of what I do for the next few days. I'll write things down on my planning sheets and check of my to-do lists. Then I'll start scheduling the tasks I really want to do on the planning sheets and maybe get some real things done.

Also, if you are reading this post, please head over to In Old Fort Dodge and enter to win $210 cash. The giveaway ends Tuesday night, so there's not a lot of time left. The Facebook "likes," Twitter "follows" and so on are grouped, so you have to like or follow each one on the page that is linked in order to get the points for that action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile