Tuesday night (May 27) was Amanda's fourth-grade "graduation." There was a potluck and graduation ceremony. Kent decided not to go because Amanda "doesn't do what I tell her to do at home." How petty. So, my mom got to go. I was supposed to bring a main dish and vegetable for 10 people. This was difficult, because we had no money. I couldn't even make anything from what we had in the pantry, unless I could do it from a couple of boxes of Jell-O and some rice. Mom paid for some chicken and potato salad from Wal-Mart.

So, here was my afternoon: pick the girls up from school, take Amanda to Donna's house, drop Cayla off at Kent's work, go to work until 5:30, pick up Mom, go to Wal-Mart for the food, pick up Amanda at Donna's, go to the school. We were 15 minutes late, but they hadn't started eating yet. We found a table with a seat at the end for Mom. She has a hard time lifting her legs up over the bench of the cafeteria table. When our table was called, we stood in line and made our way up to the food. We all had chosen food and Mom & I had full plates, when Mom put a piece of chicken on her plate and it all tipped over. She walks with a cane, and couldn't hold her plate with both hands.

Mrs. Osterberg helped her with her plate and she got a couple more things to replace what dropped on the floor. When everyone was done eating, it was presentation time. The kids were called up one at a time to get a "diploma," their yearbook and a carnation. I watched all the parents go up the middle (the tables were in two rows of five tables, with aisles on the outside and middle) to take pictures, getting a lovely picture of their childrens' heads. I went over to one side before Amanda's name was called so I could get a better shot. Of course, I don't know when I'll get this roll of film developed, so I can't tell if it worked or not.

After the presentation, I grabbed our second batch of chicken that wasn't used, the rest of the potato salad and a piece of cake. Amanda carried cake for herself and Mom. I had to get back to work, so we left. I had to put gas in my car, so we went to Wal-Mart. I was planning to give Donna the $2 left on my gift card so she could get something for supper. She was going to supper break and chose the chicken and potato salad instead. I realized I didn't have time to take Amanda home, so dropped her off at Donna's and took Mom home. I got back to work exactly at 8. I got off at 11, took Amanda home and was up til 2.

I'm always up too late. Even now, I wanted to go to sleep when I got home, but I was hungry, so I got a bowl of macaroni salad. It's nearly 1:30 a.m. I had decided to go to bed as soon as possible, rather than stay up all night doing laundry, thinking I've got something I can wear. I just realized I don't know if the kids do. I know they have enough clean clothes, but not if they are the right kind.

I don't know if anyone reads this besides me. I don't think it really matters. I do censor some things that are private or hard to explain, and I have a tendency to ramble on. I guess if a reader doesn't like it, they are free to move on to something more amusing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile