Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A moving story: Part 8

Well, here we are. Or some of us, anyway.

The bishop made arrangements for people to help us move the last of the stuff from the house, plus the mattresses he had in his commercial building, to the apartment. They were to be at the house at 9 a.m.

Cayla had an appointment at 9:30, so we rushed out there, stayed for a few minutes and then went to her appointment. After the appointment, we went to the apartment, where the stuff from the house had been unloaded. We were leaving to go to the library to drop off my overdue (they had been packed!) library books when here come the helpers again. They had gone to the bishop's commercial building and brought our stuff. So Cayla and I stayed to help bring stuff in.

I made a pizza for the missionaries, but it didn't turn out right and I couldn't figure it out. (Amanda realized later that night that the Pizzazz Plus was set on top only, not dual. Duh!

I went to the library, dropped off the books and picked out three DVD sets ("Chuck," "Downtown Abbey" and "Doctor Who" Season 6 part 1), then took Cayla to my niece's place.

I came back to the apartment and took a nap for 40 minutes, grabbed my stuff for a shower and to change into, plus lunch, and went to Mom's for my shower, as the apartment shower couldn't work (it's working now).

Then I went to work.

After work, I went home, where Amanda had started a pizza. We cooked it longer than usual, but the bottom didn't cook. Amanda figured out the problem and I set it for bottom only for a few minutes, then we ate it anyway.

I slept in Cayla's bed, as she was still at Jessica's and I don't have a bed yet. (I decided not to bring the double bed from the house, so I can get a twin.)

This morning, Amanda informed me that I snore. A lot.

I'll be sleeping in my own room tonight ...

And I need to say - I could not have done this by myself. Cayla helped a lot, although when she thought she was done, I didn't think she was done. But we had help from outside our family and I am truly grateful for that. I can move boxes, even some heavy ones, although I pay for it later with pain and stiffness. But the furniture would have been impossible.

I still have stuff in storage, but it's all stuff that Cayla and I put there. The storage agreement calls for a 30-day notice before giving up the space, so since the rent is due this week, I will have to pay another month anyway. I'll work on getting the stuff that is in the apartment put in place properly, as much as possible (I need more bookcases!) before bringing more stuff here.

And the "some of us" part from the first paragraph? Cayla was supposed to leave this morning (5:30 a.m.!) for youth conference in another part of the state. I haven't checked to make sure that she made it, but since I didn't get a phone call at 5 a.m., I'm guessing that she did.

No comments: