A moving story - part 1

So, I got a call from my landlady on May 4. She's coming here on June 9 to start working on the house to put it on the market.

So we have to move.

I hate to move.

I wrote down all the places I remember living and here's the breakdown:
  • I moved six times as a kid.
  • I moved 31 times as an adult
  • Nine of the times I moved as an adult, I had at least one kid

I'm not looking forward to this.



There's some good advice in the video. Boxes are important. I have gotten them from liquor stores (on my mom's advice and neither of us drink), print shops, Walmart (the frozen food aisle has smaller boxes, which is good if you have a lot of books).

Good advice here, except I disagree with the thing about the planning notebook being more important than boxes and tape. Both are vital.

And one thing I have already done: rented a storage space so I can sort through things in preparation for this move. The last time I moved, I requested a day off from work, but the person who was supposed to line up helpers mistook the date, so the day I had off, nobody could help. They came the following Saturday, which I had to work. So I helped move in the morning and early afternoon, then had to leave for work. I told my kids (who were 13 and 15 at the time) to stack the boxes that were on the lawn in my bedroom between one wall and my bed.

Three and a half years later, those boxes are still there.

I've got to sort through them and get rid of a lot of the stuff, but to be honest, I have no idea what's in most of them. I haven't seen my Christmas stuff since we moved, but I think it was at my husband's apartment and he let a friend take it. (We've been separated since that last move.)

So, I just need to:

  • Find a place to live
  • Come up with deposit and first month's rent
  • Sort through all my stuff
  • Get rid of a lot of stuff
  • Put stuff in storage that we can bring to the new place at our leisure instead of imposing on friends on one day (we'll still impose, but this will lessen the effect, I hope)
  • Figure out what to do with our cats (most places won't take pets, so we might have to find new homes for them)

Piece of cake, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile