Legally an adult

But not quite a grownup.

Amanda's birthday was today. She and I went out to Fazoli's for a late lunch, stopped by my mom's and did a (very) little shopping for Amanda. She and I were both tired, so we went home. I took a nap before taking Cayla to church, but Amanda wouldn't go.

We also stopped at Kent's before we went shopping. His dad had stopped by and took him out to eat, and gave him an older laptop he had that he didn't need any more. Unfortunately, he can't remember the password, so Kent won't be using it right away. And Kent said his dad told him to tell Amanda happy birthday from him.

I did some research on the Carr family and Thomas Nicholson, the Gowrie town marshal who was shot to death on July 11, 1908, by Wilbur Carr. Wilbur's dad was Ira, the younger brother of Lydia Carr Caylor Burrell Baxter, my great-great-grandmother, which makes Wilbur my first cousin three times removed, I think.

I think I discovered an error in the 1900 census. It lists Thomas Nicholson as being 36, married 14 years, but with a daughter of age 21. The daughter is listed between the 12-year-old son and the 10-year-old daughter, and the third digit in her birth year is messed up. I think it's supposed to be 1888, not 1878. I think the census taker wrote down the birth years and did the math later, and couldn't read his own handwriting or something. In the first article about the shooting, it says that Nicholson had three children graduate from the school at Gowrie that spring. If the daughter was 11 in 1900, that would be the right age, between two siblings also graduating. There were no other children listed as being close enough in age.

I've got loads more to type about the murder, but I also have the daily stuff to do on In Old Fort Dodge. I think I'll do that and then play a while before I go to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile