Ups and downs

We all have them. Sometimes I tend to focus on things that are similar, as if a group of bad things are an indication that my life is going downhill. When that happens, I ignore any good things that happen. It's kind of like when a celebrity dies and somebody wonders who the next two will be, because "these things happen in threes."

So, this morning I discovered that my laptop battery not only wasn't holding a charge, but lost power quickly, going from 53 percent to 40 percent in only a few minutes. Yikes.

An involved web search - on the desktop computer after I shut the laptop down - gave me the information that:
  • the battery needs to be replaced
  • laptop batteries tend to last about a year (mine is two years old)
  • a new battery will be between $104 to $150, depending on whether I get a six-cell or 12-cell battery
  • the 12-cell battery got bad reviews, including the fact that it sticks out from the profile of the laptop and makes the laptop go at an angle
  • you can run a laptop with the battery out using just the adapter
I can tell you one thing - I will not buy a battery on eBay. I bought a laptop adapter on eBay once and it didn't last long. Better to spend a little more and get something more reliable.

So I'm using the laptop with the adapter, no battery. I'm not sure when I'll order a new battery. I'm going to check at the local Office Max first. I might get it through Office Depot, because I have a $30 gift card to use. And it probably will be a six-cell so I don't have to worry about the extra weight and size of the battery.

And I realize that isn't much of a down, except I have a great use for my laptop and can't afford to have it out of commission. I don't have the $100+ in my budget for a new battery right now. And with my tendency to group bad things in my mind, I can't help but wonder what's next?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile