New Year's Resolution part 2

I backslid a little bit on my New Year's resolution. I played Farmville for about half an hour and played Frontierville for three days. On the fourth day, it wouldn't load, so I deleted it. I haven't played any of the games since.

Part 2 is replacing the "bad" behavior with something positive. I've got several plans - two or three new blogs with specific purposes, and some educational plans. One of my ideas is taken from my cousin Neela. She has a blog called "What Would Super Junior Do?" where she talks about her family and her "obsession" with a Korean boy band called "Super Junior."

Neela likes this band so much she is learning Korean so she can understand what they are singing. She does also like other things about Korean culture, but the band is her main reason.

So here's my plan: I will begin learning German again. I took German and Spanish in high school. I liked things about both languages and at the time even planned to join the Air Force and learn more languages. But my weight was in the way and instead of doing something about that, I gave up on that plan and went in a different direction.

Since then I have used my meager Spanish skills to order meals at Mexican restaurants. "Un torta de lengua, sin cebollas, por favor." I haven't used German at all. And my obsession with getting things perfect or not doing anything at all means I put things off and don't accomplish anything. It also means I waver between choosing between one thing or another and usually never choose. So when I have thought about resuming language studies, I think "oh, Spanish would be more useful in real life" and "German is the language of many of my ancestors and would be more useful in family history." So I put it off.

I'm going with German. I have a list of resources that can help people learn languages for free. The church has a magazine called the Liahona that has articles from the Ensign, New Era and Friend in different languages. My mom is the ward magazine representative, she would be glad to order it for me in German. And the church's website offers various language versions,  including the scriptures in those languages.

So the next step is to make my decision public, thereby making myself accountable to produce results. If you don't tell anyone what you are doing, nobody will encourage - or nag - you to continue. And I'll take either. ;-)

Guten Tag.

Comments

Neela said…
You go Carol!

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile