New ventures

I've had some ideas rolling around in the back of my mind for some time now. I wanted to start new blogs - not necessarily about my personal life, but something to share with others.

I finally took the next step. I registered three domain names and will be setting up hosting in the next day or so.

The three domains and their purposes are:
  • In Old Fort Dodge: news articles from the early days of Fort Dodge, Iowa, and the surrounding area. These will be printed exactly as they appeared in the publication of the time. (This site is now active.)
  • A Vague Recollection: I'll begin with my personal memories and possible add interviews of others. I use this phrase when recalling something that I know could be tainted by time and/or previous retellings.
  • A Wiser Steward: Learning to take care of my personal stewardship, live frugally and improve my life.
In Old Fort Dodge should launch March 1, which is Tuesday. I plan to set up posts ahead of time, timed to release on the day of publication matching when they were first published. So March 1 will have an article from March 1 of a previous year.


Eventually I'll set up my own WordPress themes, but for now I'll pick some free ones that suit my mood. I have to get past my mental block about CSS - for some reason my mind resists learning it well. I "get" the need for using CSS and I "get" how it works, but I don't "get" how to actually do it. But I have my "CSS: The Missing Manual" and I'll get it eventually.


I'm still going to work on learning German. Oh, and I need to be more consistent about reading the scriptures. And I've got a few other things I feel I need to do. That's partly what "A Wiser Steward" is all about. I originally planned a blog about working finances while consistently paying tithing. But I realized that there's more to it than that. It's not just finances, it's also managing my time and doing constructive things.


So, here I am with all these grand plans. So far this year my one success story has been quitting playing Zynga games on Facebook. I relapsed a couple of times, but I found that it's mostly been pretty easy once I blocked the games. Setting a short (one-month) deadline was key - I didn't feel that deprived when it was only for one month, but it also broke the hold the games had on me.


So I'll be figuring myself out, figuring out CSS, learning German ... guess it's not so bad that I'm not in college this year. Not sure I would have the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile