A game of cat and mouse

I was nearly asleep. Asleep, really, but lightly enough that a noise woke me up. I opened my eyes to see Buster walk by with a mouse in his mouth.

So, I got up. Our policy is to get the mice away from the cats. We don't know if the mice have diseases, plus although Buster might like a little mousy snack, he sometimes leaves bits behind. Like a mouse head.

Which reminds me of a Kliban cat poem:

"Love to eat them mousies,
mousies what I love to eat.
Bite they little heads off,
Nibble on they tiny feet."

Anyway, it's not just the possibility of disease and the chance of stepping on a discarded mouse head, it's also about the cat-and-mouse game. You know the one, where the cat catches the mouse, walks around with it in his mouth, tosses it up in the air and chases it again? In other words, he plays with his food.

I just want to go to sleep. Which I can't do while the cat-and-mouse game is being played. So I turned on the light and tried to coax Buster outside where I could get the mouse away from him and release it into the wild (or our front yard).

No luck. This went on for about 10-15 minutes before I woke up Amanda. She's the only one with the nerve to take the mouse directly out of Buster's mouth (using a plastic grocery bag). He dropped and lost the mouse as soon as he saw her coming. Now he's prowling around disturbing stuff trying to find his mouse again. Yippee.

Now he'll probably come up and want to be all lovey with me. Which I'm not in the mood for since he was just playing with a mouse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile