A change of perspective

So, it's Sunday evening and I'm sort of watching America's Funniest Home Videos. This show has the ability to get me laughing until I cry. But not tonight.

They showed a montage of people falling. They cut to the audience laughing. I'm not even cracking a smile.

You see, Mom fell today, on the sidewalk outside her apartment. She was about six feet or so away from her door. I was waiting in the car for her and Cayla, looking at the Sunday paper. I glanced up and there Mom was, on her knees.

I ran out of the car, leaving it running, and ran to her. Cayla and I couldn't get her up on her feet. A man who was there to visit someone else in the apartment complex came over to help. We still couldn't get her up. I called 911 while Cayla brought out a folding chair and the stranger and Cayla got her into the chair while I was on the phone.

The EMTs came, then the ambulance from Trinity. They checked her out, then took her to the hospital because we wanted a more thorough exam (including X-rays, since Mom has had two knee replacements). Cayla changed into jeans (she had spent the night) and we went to church, so I could drop off my lesson manual and stuff for Sharing Time. Then, we drove through McDonald's for Egg McMuffins and went to the hospital.

We stayed there for a couple of hours, until Mom could leave. The doctor said the X-rays didn't show anything wrong, but they will have a radiologist check them, as well. I took Mom home and Cayla stayed with her. Kent is on his way to pick her up.

I took a nap this afternoon, but I'm still exhausted. It's been too much excitement. I could probably go to sleep now (7 p.m.) and sleep til morning, if I didn't have stuff to do for tomorrow.

But, you can see why watching people fall wouldn't be funny for me tonight. It's too close to home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Nancy's Green Cake

My Memories May blog train

So, it's been awhile